Sunday, March 18, 2012

Adventures in Finch

Charlotte and I trailered Luba over to Roadapple Ranch in Finch on Friday for her annual shots and wellness check. The new truck pulls like a dream. It feels like we are floating down the highway. I had to check a couple times to see if the trailer was really still attached!

New-to-me 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 loaded! Charlotte likes having her own door to the back seat.

After a pizza lunch and before the vet came, we went out for a little ride. Lee rode Gem down the road for the first time and Charlotte rode Sera. I walked. As we started out down the driveway, I put a lead shank on Sera, and Charlotte very politely asked me to take it off.  So I did.  Of course, she and Sera were just fine :)

Gem was a star! I think he should be renamed "Steady Eddy". Steady forward 4mph walk, no lookey lookey balky balky spooky spooky at all.  Charlotte smiled and giggled the whole way.

Charlotte wouldn't shorten her reins when I asked her, but did so most obligingly when Lee mentioned it to her. Already! She is only 8! sigh.

Lee riding Steady Eddy and Giggles riding Sera

Both Luba and Sera got a clean bill of health, both of them a lean 5 for body condition score. Kim has done a great job managing my dear old lady, Sera, who turns 26 on Wednesday. Dr. Ingrid Bill  suggested adding alfalfa cubes to Luba's ration to help build muscle, in addition to the 2 pounds of Evolution Elite, Nutriquin Elite, probiotics, and vegetable oil top dressing that now gets twice daily.  She taped her weight at close to 900, but we don't measure at exactly the same spot.

Yesterday, I headed out for a ride on Luba with Lee and Phantom.  Dessia joined us, riding Parker and ponying Kiera. We rode 7.5 miles with them before they turned around to head back to Dessia's. It was 15C, breezy with a moderate UV index! Break out the sunglasses and lip balm!



Luba and I carried on home along the old railway line. Luba was not keen to leave her friends, so I jumped off and led her for 20 feet or so and then we were good to go. The footing on the railway bed is a bit soft in some places, but great for the most part.


We stopped in a big puddle just before crossing County Road 9, and she seemed to enjoy just letting her feet soak in the cold water. Spring is here! The pussy willows are out!


We rode a total of 11.9 miles at an average speed of 5.2 mph. Railbed Run by nancyzed at Garmin Connect - Details

The day ended with a little excitement, as Luba was shaking and running a fever when Lee went out to feed supper. She phoned Ingrid, who said it might be a reaction to the flu shot and recommended bute. This seemed to do the trick as Luba was back to normal by the time Lee texted me around 8:00. Whew! I am such a mother hen, I almost drove back out to Finch. But Lee is very wise old soul. She said, either she will get better or she won't. It is what is is. 

And I say, all's well that ends well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment